Sunday, December 4, 2011

Lauren's Stocking Project

I know several other mothers do this as a way to incorporate their loved one into their Christmas holiday and I love the idea. I wanted to share the following letter I sent out to family and friends.

Hey everyone,

I was hoping I could get everyone to help me out with a little something. Lauren would be a little over 6 months old on Christmas. I can only imagine how much of a joyous day it really would be if she was here. She should be here in Brandon’s lap as he helps her open her first little Christmas gifts from us and Santa. Since we are not able to see her beautiful face on Christmas morning or have her in our arms, I am asking for a favor from as many people that will participate.

I am asking you to help me fill Lauren’s stocking with one of two things, or both should you be willing to do so. We would greatly appreciate it if you would 1) write her a letter. It could be about anything. Maybe what you remember about her, what you imagine she would be like, or how she has impacted your life. OR 2) I would like to challenge you to do one random act of kindness for someone between now and Christmas in honor of Lauren. It can be small, it can be big, just as it is something that is kind and as long as you are doing it, you are thinking of our baby girl Lauren.

Once you have completed your random act of kindness, please write a description of what it was. When you have this or just a regular letter completed, please email them to me at either melissa_autry@ymail.com or m.autry0508@gmail.com. For the subject line please write Letter for Lauren or Random Act of Kindness so I can keep them unread. I do not want to read any of them until Christmas. I am going to print them out, fold them up, and stuff her stocking. Then on Christmas morning, Brandon, Halley, & I will open each one and read them together. This would be an amazing, comforting thing for us to be able to read these if you chose to help us out with this. I know I am giving you a short amount of time to complete a letter or a random act of kindness, but it would really mean a lot to us if you consider doing this.

Also, I want to mention that the notes don't really have a guide; just write your thoughts and feelings. You can write to Brandon, Halley, Lauren or I. You can write as little as “Merry Christmas Lauren” or “I will love and remember you Lauren.” It doesn't have to be a long letter, just a sentence or two so that we can see she is remembered on that Christmas morning. The smallest gesture carries the biggest comfort and love in the hardest of times. I figured this is a great way for all those around us to love and support us through this holiday without actually having to be here or call us, as we know all of you have families to be with. Consider this our Christmas present. I want to say that there is no need to “sensor” your writings as nothing that could be written could upset us or hurt us more than the loss of Lauren already has. I encourage all of you to just write what is in your heart, if you had things that you wish you could have said to Lauren or us then I implore you to do so. It will help you as much as it helps us. We appreciate any notes or thoughts that are sent to fill Lauren's stocking, Our family will hold them all very close to our hearts! And If anyone adopts an angel in honor of her, please keep the information tags they give you on the child. After Christmas I want to put all of these letters and tags in her scrapbook.

Thank You,
The Autry Family

--I am hoping I get just a handful of letters to put in Lauren's stocking. It would be amazing to open up her stocking on Christmas morning and read all of these amazing things and ways that people chose to remember her with.

No comments:

Post a Comment