Monday, January 30, 2012

Sharing Stories

So on Saturday, I had something completely unexpected happen.

I just recently moved to a new team on my floor at work and I do not know anyone and I knew the introductions and questions would come eventually. I have struggled in the past with the question " do you have any children?" and the follow up question of "how old are they?" but, lately I have started to be a little more open. Some people I work with know about Lauren because of Facebook, but the office is huge, so there is a ton of people I don't know and I meet new people daily. Well, on saturday it was slower than usual, so there was time for some casual conversations, and I got asked the normal series of questions and then came the "how many children do you have?". I always say 2. When I first lost Lauren, I was never able to say she had passed away, but now I am able to. It is still extremely awkward to me just because of how uncomfortable people get and the strange reactions that come from me telling them.

But anyways, I told her about Lauren. Usually people don't inquire why or continue our conversation but she did. Come to find out - She has also lost a child about 7 years ago. Then, she continued with her story. She really opened up to me. I was so grateful that she did, especially since she said she has never been open about loosing her daughter. - I saw her pain and her strength.

I can say, It was  unexpected but very calming and nice to have someone to talk to.. even if it was only for a few minutes. I have heard alot of stories about baby loss mommies opening up to strangers, and it opens doors for people to talk about their lost children as well.

My conversation with her made my day a little easier. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment